GCSE Press Release - Thursday 22 August 2019
Another Year of Excellent Student Outcomes!
We are delighted to announce as well as celebrate the fact that the students of Plume Academy have secured another year of extremely pleasing GCSE examination results. The year group were awarded an incredible 393 9-7 (formerly A*-A) grades with an equally impressive 12 students securing 8 or more 9-7 (A*-A) grades.
However, there is a great deal more positive news to share with:
- 46% of all grades awarded being 9-5 grades
- 100% pass rate in a record 18 subjects
- 100% 9-4 (A*-C) grades in ICT
- 100% 9-4 (A*-C) grades in Dance
- 87% 9-4 (A*-C) grades in Computer Science
- 86% 9-4 (A*-C) grades in Engineering
- 83% 9-4 (A*-C) grades in Creative Media
- 10 A* and 13 A grades in ICT
- 50 9-7 grades in English Literature
- 34 9-7 grade in Mathematics
A significant number of Plume Academy’s students secured outstanding results including:
· William Moore – 10 grade 8s, and 1 grade 7.
William said, “Wow, this is unbelievable!’ All the hard work has paid off and thank you to the teachers for all their hard work too. It’s been an amazing five years and I cannot quite believe just how good this feels!”
· Georgia Papidas – 3 grade 9s, 4 grade 8s, 3 grade 7s, and 1 grade 6. Georgia said, “I have really enjoyed my 5 years at Plume and have made amazing friends. We are all so happy with our results. I am so happy with the grades I have got; I’m speechless.”
· Thomas Anthony – 2 grade 9s, 6 grade 8s, 1 grade 7, 1 grade 6, and 1 grade 5. Thomas said, “These are pretty good results, aren’t they? I am so happy with these grades and I couldn’t have wanted a better set of results. Plume has been brilliant, and I have loved every minute.”
· Reece Bryant – 2 grade 9s, 1 grade A*, 2 grade 8s, 3 grade 7s, 1 Level 2 Distinction and 2 grade 6s
· Phoebe Wiseman – 3 grade 9s, 2 grade 8s, 2 grade 7s, and 4 grade 6s. Phoebe said, “I am really happy with my results. 3 Grade 9’s, it’s just amazing! I have really enjoyed studying at Plume and have worked really hard for these results.”
· Sam Johnson – 1 grade 9, 4 grade 8s, 5 grade 7s, and 1 grade 5. Sam said, “I am extremely happy with the results and I really couldn’t have wished for better. I am staying at Plume to study A- Levels. I have really enjoyed being at Plume for the last 5 years.”
· Peter Osborne – 1 grade 9, 4 grade 8s, 4 grade 7s, and 2 grade 6s. Peter said, “I am pretty pleased with these grades. It was a great feeling to open the results and see all the good grades in the subjects I took.”
· Abbie Mortimer-Ford – 1 grade 9, 5 grade 8s, 1 grade 7, and 4 grade 6s. Abbie said, “I was so nervous and didn’t want to open the results but when I did it was such a great feeling. I am really pleased with the results and all the hard work has been worth it. It’s been great fun to be at Plume over the last 5 years and I have had great support from all the teachers.”
· Olivia Bradshaw– 1 grade 9, 4 grade 8s, 3 grade 7s, and 3 grade 6s
Our Vocational students also achieved extremely good grades once again this year with the vast majority securing the required grades to move on to their desired next pathway of choice.
Dan Rose, the Head of Year for the class of 2014-19 said:
“I am delighted with the results our students have achieved primarily through sheer hard work and determination over the last two years.”
“It has been an absolute pleasure leading this year group throughout the past four years as well. The relationships built with parents and carers during this journey, along with the students hard work, has led to some really pleasing results across all subjects.”
“Teachers and students here at Plume Academy have worked tirelessly and it has been a privilege to help direct the students towards the excellent results they have achieved today”.
Carl Wakefield, Principal of Plume Academy, said:
“I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of Year 11 and our staff for achieving these fantastic results. These outcomes are even more encouraging given the national context which continues to see unprecedented change and unquestionably more difficult curriculum content, amidst ongoing uncertainty in terms of actual course expectations and overall grade boundaries across all examination boards.”
“It is always difficult to refer to specific results and individual students but if I had to, the sheer amount of 9-7 grades achieved by the year group as well as 18 subjects securing a 100% pass rate would be the most satisfying from my perspective. Nevertheless, this is without taking anything away from all the other significant successes achieved by this terrific group of students.”
“Results like these simply do not happen without a massive amount of commitment, dedication and sheer hard work from the students, and of course our excellent and highly skilled team of staff working in collaboration over a significant period of time.”
“We have been relentless in our pursuit of identifying areas in need of improvement whilst remaining focused on our core objectives and overall targets. As a result, Plume Academy has achieved a significant amount of pleasing results across a number of subject areas, again, in such extremely challenging and demanding times. Therefore, students and staff alike should feel exceptionally proud of these extremely positive outcomes. The same should also be felt by our tremendously supportive and loyal parents and carers who themselves have worked in partnership with the academy over the past five years, thus ensuring their children can now
progress on to the next stage of their education, employment or training; it was great to see so many of them come in with their children this morning as well.”
“I will conclude by wishing those students and their respective families who will be moving on to pastures new from this point onwards all the very best for what I hope will be an enjoyable, happy and ultimately, successful future. To those students who will be staying on to study in our College, my colleagues and I very much look forward to working alongside them over the next two years, and as they strive to achieve the best outcomes that will in turn hopefully see them secure a place at university, a high-quality apprenticeship or progress into the world of work.”